Medical staff members wearing protective clothing at the Wuhan Red Cross Hospital. (Hector RETAMAL / AFP) Sudanese authorities said Wednesday they are monitoring two possible cases of coronavirus.Health minister Akram Ali Al-Tom told reporters in Khartoum that two suspected cases of coronavirus have entered the country through Egypt and Ethiopia.“We received two suspected cases came from China through Cairo and Addis Ababa … we want to stress here that the two cases haven’t been confirmed yet but we take the samples and then send them abroad with the help of the World Health Organization (WHO) to test it,”he said after a meeting of the council of ministers.The minister further said one of the cases is currently in Al-Gezira state and the other in the capital Khartoum. He pointed out that they are taking precautionary measures to protect the country from the disease.“We are on high precautions with the different authorities including the sea, land and airports as well as the ministries of interior, migration and others,” he explained.The virus was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year. It has so far killed at least 170 people and infected some 7,815 others globally, the vast majority of them in China.
Thousands paid tribute to late AMIA specialprosecutor Alberto Nisman on Saturday night on the fifth anniversary of his unsolved death.Nisman led the probe into the 1994 bombing of the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association headquarters, which left 85 dead and 300 wounded.He was 51 years old on January 18, 2015 when he was found dead in hisPuerto Madero apartment of a gunshot wound to the head,delivered at close range from a handgun found at his side.His death created a fault-line in Argentina –some are sure he committed suicide, while others are convincedhe was murdered.On Saturday evening, a large crowd– estimated to be around 3,000 demonstrators by international news agency AFP – marched in Nisman’s name.Sara Garfunkel, Nisman’s mother, was among those in attendance at the event, which was organised via social networks. Read more…'She's doing well' – Sandra the orangutan makes new friends in Florida She was joined by figureheads of Mauricio Macri’s Juntos por el Cambio coalition, including Civic Coalition lawmaker Elisa ‘Lilita’ Carrió, former security minister Patricia Bullrich and Buenos Aires Province lawmaker Waldo Wolff.The gathering, which took place at the Plaza Vaticano, next to the Buenos Aires’ famed Teatro Colón, carried a strong oppositional tone.The crowdshouted “murderer” every time Cristina Fernández de Kirchner’s name was mentioned as their way of blaming the former presidentfor Nisman’s death.They loudly rejected suggestions that he had committed suicide and many demonstrators carried banners reading:”It was not suicide, it was a murder.” Read more…Stiglitz: 'Macri bet the house and lenders followed him blindly' Garfunkel said that in the past five years Argentina had failed to find justice for her son’s death.”This prosecutor was murdered and we know nothing. I do not understand how a man of his strength and determination could commit suicide,” said another demonstrator, a 55-year-old woman who gave her name as María.President Alberto Fernández, also came in for heavy criticism at the event. He said this month he doubts Nisman killed himself but said there is no evidence of murder. Read more…IMF to send team to Argentina in February after 'positive' talks with Guzmán Fernández will travel to Israel this week for an international commemorative event markingHolocaust Day and the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp.In contrast to the rally, the Delegation of Argentine Israelite Associations (DAIA) Jewish organisation opted to hold a quieter ceremony at the La Tablada ceremony on Sunday, where Nisman’s bodyis buried.During its main speech, the organisation’s head,Jorge Knoblovits, said that “today we are certain that Alberto was killed,” adding that the late prosecutor had”investigated the most relevant and most contaminated cause in Argentina,a case that it was contaminated by intelligence services, and by politics.” Read more…Central Bank expects considerable drop in inflation this year Nisman’s former wife and children had a private ceremony later Sunday at the same location.Other events demanding justice for the late prosecutor took place at various locations across the country.AMIA bombing Read more…Mauricio Macri lands new job as president of FIFA Foundation The July 1994 bombing at the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association (AMIA), a Jewish community centre in the capital, remains the deadliest terror strike in the country’s history: it killed 85 people and wounded 300.After a botched investigation tainted by corruption allegations, Nisman was appointed to lead a new probe. In 2006, he accused Iran of ordering the attack via the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.But his efforts to prosecute five Iranian officials, including former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, were cut short when Fernández de Kirchner’s administration signed a deal with Iran to set up a Tehran-based joint commission to investigate the attacks. Read more…Clean energy boom threatened by Argentina’s free-market fizzle Nisman accused the then-president of sealing the deal in exchange for oil and trade benefits, basing his accusations on hundreds of hours of wiretaps. Fernández de Kirchner dismissed the allegations as part of a plot by disgruntled intelligence agents to discredit her.Days later, on January 19, 2015 – and just before he was to present his findings to Congress – the prosecutor’s body was found in the bathroom of his Puerto Madero apartment with a gunshot wound to the head, delivered at close range from a handgun found at his side.An initial autopsy concluded Nisman was alone. However, a second forensic probe two years later by the Gendarmerie (Border Guard) backed the murder theory supported by Nisman’s family and the Argentine prosecutors’ association. Read more…New testimony tests 'Los Rugbiers' pact of silence on killing The probe into Nisman’s death is still ongoing,after passing intofederal jurisdiction in 2016.Four of the late proseutor’s bodyguardand his IT technician, Diego Lagomarsino, the owner of the gun that took Nisman’s life, face prosecution. Lagomarsino maintainsthat Nisman asked him to loan him the gun, saying the prosecutor feared for the safety of his daughters.Nisman’s complaint against Fernández de Kirchner was dismissed on multiple occasions by the courts, butin 2016 it was reopened by Federal Judge Claudio Bonadío. It now awaits a date for oral trial.Fernández de Kirchner, who was in office from 2007 to 2015 and is now vice-president, is accused of having attempted to conceal Iranian involvement in the bombing in return for lucrative trade deals with her government. Read more…Tottenham sign Giovani Lo Celso on permanent deal She forcibly denies the allegations.– TIMES/AFP related news Buenos Aires Province sweetens deal for 2021 creditors
Tributes have poured in for Racing Club legend Juan José Pizzuti, who died Friday aged 92.Pizzuti, who picked up titles with La Academia as both a player and coach, was honoured by the club with an image, accompanied with the slogan: “A legend is born. Hasta siempre, Tito.””Racing Club deeply regrets the death of Juan José Pizzuti, an indispensable piece of the history of the Primer Grande. The institution accompanies his family with affection at this moment of pain,” the club said in a statement.The Argentine Football Association (AFA) added their commiserations with a post using the hashtag ‘#ProfundoDolor.’ “The Argentine Football Association regrets the death of Juan José Pizzuti, idol of Racing Club, and sends his condolences to his family and loved ones,” AFA added. Read more…Tottenham sign Giovani Lo Celso on permanent deal Pizzuti, who was born in Barracas, Buenos Aires, played more than 200 games for Racing over two spells with the club, with his career also taking in spells with Banfield, River Plate and Boca Juniors, twice.He is among a rare list of players to have played for both the Millionario and the Xeneize.He won three league titles (two with Racing, 1958 and 1961; one with Boca, 1962) and picked up the South American Championship (later renamed the Copa América) with the national side in 1959. Read more…Lanús player freed by kidnappers after US$5,000 ransom payment Notably, Pizzuti went on to coach Racing, leading them to the Primera División in 1966, as well as taking them to Copa Libertadores glory and the Copa Intercontinental title in 1967, securing his place as a club legend with his “equipo de José.”The Copa Intercontinental title was the first time an Argentine side had won the world title. Racing defeatedThe Intercontinental Cup title of ’67 lives long in the memory of many football fans. That tie went to a play-off in Montevideo, which was marked by aggressive foul play, after Racing and Scotland’s Celtic were level after a two-legged final. La Academia eventually emerged victorious 1-0, thanks to an outrageous strike from striker Juan Carlos ‘Chango’ Cárdenas – despite six players being sent off (two from Racing, four from Celtic). Read more…World mourns basketball legend Kobe Bryant after helicopter crash CareerPizzuti was born in Buenos Aires on May 9, 1927, making his dèbut with Banfield in 1946 aged 19 in his fifth year with the club. He finished as top scorer in Argentina’s top flight in 1949, scoring 27 goals. In total he played 77 games and scored 47 goals for El Taladro.In 1951, he moved on to River Plate for a single season, before joining Racing for the start of the 1953 season. After finishing as top scorer of the league again in the sky-blue-and-white shirt, he moved onto Boca Juniors in 1955, though he would only play 20 games for the Xeneize. Read more…Fans pay an emotional tribute to Emiliano Sala, a year after he died He then returned to Racing for a successful second spell, winning the title in 1958 and 1961 and forming a memorable front-line with Orestes Corbatta, Rubén “El Marqués” Sosa, Pedro Mansilla and Raúl Belén.Eventually he returned to boca for a second spell, winning his third and final league title as a player in 1962. He retired a year later, having scored 182 goals in 349 games – 118 with Racing.During his playing career, Pizzuti was officially capped 12 times by the national side, winning the 1959 Campeonato Sudamericano, scoring three times along the way. He would later go on to lead the Albiceleste as coach between 1970 and 1972, though he was not responsible for the national side’s failure to qualify for the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. Read more…River bid to complete Gallardo’s CV as Superliga returns As a coach, ‘Tito’ also led local sides Chacarita,Nueva Chicago and Colón de Santa Fe, as well as Colombia’s Independiente de Medellín de Colombia, though it is his spells with Racing that draw the eye.After winning a league title, a continental title and a world title, he left Racing Club in 1969 after four years and four months in charge, which still stands as the longest managerial reign at the clubHe returned briefly for other spells in 1974, 1983 and 1993, with the second a disaster as Racing were relegated to the second tier. Read more…Diego Schwartzman to face Djokovic in Australian Open last 16 Nothing, however, could affect his popularity with the fans at El Cilindro, who feel as though they’ve lost one of their own.”Sad day, one thought it would never come, because we believe that idols are eternal,” tweeted one fan, Faby Codevilla, on Friday. related news Two Argentines advance to 3rd round of Australian Open Maduro meets Maradona in Caracas ahead of São Paulo Forum
A second class judge shot himself in an apparent suicide attemptin Aweil East State on Wednesday over alleged frustration with judiciary’s top leadership, an official said.The deceased was identified as Nyang Atem Anei.Speaking to Radio Tamazuj on Wednesday, the state information minister, Garang Malong Yor confirmed the incident, saying Anei accused the legal administration of ignoring his request to seek medical treatment abroad.The deceased reportedly left behind a note expressing his frustration with the state legal administration.“We were astonished with news about the judge. He killed himself this morning,” Yor said.Reec Mathok Diing, the Aweil civil hospital director, said the results of a postmortem conducted on the body showed that the deceased died due to gunshot wounds.